Tuesday, July 26, 2016

A632.8.3.RB - Reflections on the Cynefin Framework



We are faced with difficult situations each and every day. Some of these situations are more stressful than others and some start out very stressful and then get easier and easier. This process of moving from a stressful situation to a one that is more in control is also addressed in the Cynefin framework (Snowden & Boone, 2007). Cynefin’s Framework gives us a representation of the contextual characteristics of simple, complicate, complex, and chaotic issues we can expect to face as leaders.  These identified characteristics can be used to formulate informed decisions.  Snowden and Boone (2007) wrote “Using the Cynefin framework can help executives sense which context they are in so that they can not only make better decisions but also avoid the problems that arise when their preferred management style causes them to make mistakes” (para. 6).  As leaders we will all make mistakes.  This framework can be utilized to mitigate the consequences of bad choices.

In my daily work-world here at Lockheed Martin Aeronautics, my day to day work is a flip of simple decisions that follow our process and procedures, and then complex decisions that required higher levels of critical thinking and involved support teams that help with the legal, regulatory, and contractual aspects of the contracts I create.   Most everything I do is pretty much a “cause and effect” effort.  Meaning that everything is usually straightforward and manageable.  If something does get bogged down in the weeds, I usually know what I need to do to bring things back into balance.  In fact, most of my in office work is routine with status calls, Purchase Order maintenance and updates, and then my onsite supplier interactions require me to wear the complex to chaotic hat to deep dive and investigate the work and efforts of my supplier.  During our fact finds, we are involved in question and answer sessions, with intense follow-up to get the real facts from the given ones. My work days at a supplier are a lesson in adaptability and control.

Another area in which I see the complexity of simple decisions intermingled with complex ones is in the decisions Tina and I make in regards to our two girls.  We make simple choices with them for meeting their needs or giving them permissions down to complex and life changing decisions, especially recently in dealing with our daughters type one diabetes.  In fact medical decisions have the greatest cause and effect outcomes and require outside assistance at times from the expertise of the medical staff at the local children’s hospital, as we come to grips with the inherent limitations we must make in our daughters new lifestyle.

These are just two examples of how situations can move through the different stages of the Cynefin framework. The big difference that I have now is knowing about these stages and how to react more appropriately in the situations.

During this week’s Discussion Boards, I found myself agreeing with both Ryan Kemp and Meghan in terms of enjoying working in the environment of the complex context because I think that operating in the unknown helps to build more knowledge through continued inquiries and it requires an even more in-depth process of critical thought, based on reflection and analysis.

The five takeaways from the Cynefin framework that I will incorporate into my decision making is the ability to step back and analyze the situation critically. I will then be able to quickly decide which context the situation resembles the most. I will have a better idea of how to respond and in what order. Some situations require action first like chaos, while others require you to sense and analyze first. I will have a better idea of what a good starting point will be and how to analyze the situation better. I think will be another valuable tool from this program that I will be able to apply in my life both professionally and personally.

In summary, I am finding that the Cynefin Framework allows the decision-maker the ability to "float" from one quadrant to the other depending on how the external stimuli are affecting the variables of the decision process.  What might start as a simple decision, can transgress into a complex one as the problem or issue takes ebbs or turns based on adaptability to the situation.  Even a decision that seems go be indicative of the Chaotic Quadrant, can take on cause and effect characteristics that move it to one of the other three quadrants and their reciprocal frameworks.

References
Snowden, D. J., & Boone, M. E. (2007). A Leader's Framework for Decision Making. Retrieved    July 20, 2016,         from https://hbr.org/2007/11/a-leaders-framework-for-decision-making













No comments:

Post a Comment